GT350H

Monday, February 16, 2009

Slowly getting back to it

After taking 12 weeks off from running and not getting any better, I finally went to the sports medicine doctor. Diagnosis - arthritis in my hip. He said there wasn't much he could do other can prescribe some pain medicine and schedule me for a hip replacement when the pain became too bad. I was not about to go with that diagnosis! Started looking on the internet and found some interesting sites including this one (hip pain causes) .

I've been trying this for about 3 weeks now and have had some drastic reduction in running pain. Put in over 20 miles per week for the last two weeks (although a lot slower than back in November). Have also been back to playing some basketball which makes the hip sore, but manageable. Today I did 0.53 miles of backward walking on the treadmill and 4.31 miles running (including 1 mile barefoot).

Did the Winter Winds 2 mile race yesterday (ran with my wife). Definitely a different perspective starting near the back of the pack and doing 12:25 per mile pace! (not a perspective I want to get used to, mind you ;) ).
posted by mgreene at 12:59 PM

5 Comments:

I'm cheering for you! I hope you can get better soon, whether it's arthritis or something else.

February 17, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

Thanks, Eric, good luck on you ultra coming up. As the pain subsides, I may join your Athens weekend group on Sunday AM.

February 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

I am so glad you know what it is. I am glad you are back out there moving regardless of your speed right now. While we were doing the Half in Jan. I meet the older man in his 60's who had hip surgery 5 months prior to the race. And he was going to be doing the full the next day. He said he could only get in 5 marathons last year due to the surgery and this year he plans to break his record of 45 for the year.

February 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

I like that link you found. It makes more sense than arthritis. You are too young and in too good a shape for that just yet. Wait another 30 years, then you can say you have arthritis. I suspect you will lick this problem and be back to fast running later this year.

February 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

You're more than welcome to join us! I'll send you an invite on Facebook. It's usually a relaxed, fun, easy run.

February 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results