GT350H

Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th 5K

Exercise: Thursday - 5 games full court basketball at Berachah gym.

Friday - Went with Ronnie N. to Loretto, TN to run the Independence Day 5K. This is unusual in that it is a point to point course instead of a loop course. They load you up on a bus, take you to the start, drop you off, and you run back to the start. Because they only had one bus, the race started about 15 minutes late, which only gave the temps a few more minutes to rise. That, plus the fact that there is very little shade on the course for the first 2.5 miles made for a pretty toasty race.
I tried to start out conservatively and let the "speedsters" burn out, which most did. The overall winner was Wes Bevis, an incoming track athlete at the University of North Alabama. Between the start and about the 0.75 mile mark I probably passed 50 people. Just before the 1 mile marker I passed my way into 2nd place overall and passed the mile marker in 5:53. At this point Stacy Lemay blew by me like I was standing still. I guess he thought he was trying to make a statement! Over the next half mile, Dustin Dutton and I ran shoulder to shoulder eventually passing Lemay again, crossing the second mile in 12:05 (6:12 split). A few moments later Lemay came blowing by again! This time he opened up about a 4 second lead on me and Dustin . He held this advantage until the 3 mile marker when Dustin finally caught him. I was a few strides back but unable to mount another challenge (probably because of the 2.5 hours of basketball last night). Third mile split was 6:22. The final 0.1 contained the only true hill in the course - I did it in 0:37, finishing in 19:06, 4th overall, and 1st overall Master (40+), as they threw Lemay out as he took 3rd overall male (kind of a hollow victory for me). Lemay finished in 19:01, Dustin in 19:00, so 2nd thru 4th were within 6 seconds of each other. Kind of bummed I couldn't find an extra 7 seconds somewhere to break 19:00. If I had only held 6:15 in the 3rd mile I would have broke 19:00 AND finished 2nd overall. Looks like I've got some more training to do :(

Results are posted here: Loretto 5K results

Total mileage for the week: 27.04

Total mileage for the month : 13.27
posted by mgreene at 1:54 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results