GT350H

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pump & Run 5K

Exercise: Went to Lexington, AL this evening with Carl S. to do the "Pump & Run" 5K. This is a regular 5K with an additional race within a race - based on your age and weight, you do bench presses. For each that you do, you get to subtract 20 seconds from your final 5K time and the top 10 in this category get awards in addition to the regular 5K awards.
I weighed in at 159 fully clothed, so at age 45, I had to do 90% of my body weight. Rounding off because the weights were in 5 pound increments, I had to do 145 pounds. Last year I did 9 - this year 1! Not sure what the problem was - been doing the wrong exercises at UAH Fitness Center, I guess. Carl did 19! and was the Pump & Run winner with a 5K adjusted time of 12:30ish!
As far as the 5K race went, the temps were much cooler than usual for this time of year. Just like last year, a lot of younger (and some older) runners started out really fast. At the first turn I was probably in 12th place. By the half mile point I had passed everyone except for Stacy Lemay and top female finisher, Sandy Lynch. I really tried to go out conservatively but hit the one mile mark in 5:58. Sandy was right there to at the mile marker around 6:00 - pretty remarkable for a 39 year old female in these parts. I finally got around Stacy (by running the tangents) at about the 1.25 mile point. I held the lead past the cone turnaround, and through the 2 mile mark (6:10 second mile). As we turn back toward town, Carl passed me. Another quarter mile later the overall winner passed us both. Once again, I faded some in the 3rd mile, hitting it in 6:23. I really pushed the last 0.1, finishing in 19:07. I was 3rd overall, Carl was 2nd overall, Stacy was 4th overall - each of us separated by 10-11 seconds. And Carl was about 10 seconds behind the overall winner. Sandy Lynch ran a sub 20 minute 5K as well.
Awards were really neat bobble-head trophies.

Results will be here: Pump & Run results

Total mileage for week : 5.85
Total mileage for month : 20.07
posted by mgreene at 8:22 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results