GT350H

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Good results, poor time in Heroes 5K

Exercise: Have not had a good week - after running only 2.28 miles on Tuesday, did not run for the next 3 days. Picked up a bad head cold to go along with my sore quad. So I kind of knew I wouldn't have a great 5K at the Huntsville Heroes 5K and Half-Marathon today. My only saving grace was the fact that most of the really good runners would be doing the 1/2, while I always do this 5K as I do not enjoy the 1/2 course.

Tried to start out conservatively again, but hit the first mile in 5:52 (too fast). Started feeling fatigued early on in the 2nd mile which I slogged through in 6:25. I passed two people in this mile and worked my way up to 5th overall. I did gain a little on the 4th place finisher, but lost touch again in the third mile. Did not see the 3 mile marker, so I ran the last 1.1 in 7:21 (6:41 pace) - 19:38 total - really sad considering I ran an 18:57 last week. I did win the overall Master's title and finished 5th out of 306 finishers, but I was not pleased.

Total mileage for the week : 3.65
Total mileage for the month : 23:12
posted by mgreene at 4:56 PM

4 Comments:

I'm longing for the day that a bad 5k time for me is still sub 20!

November 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

I long for bad days like yours too, Mike. Now I realize why I didn't see you in the HM.

November 9, 2008 at 2:49 AM  

it is just ONE of the signs of getting old

November 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

Hey, Don, I had your Liz Hurley medal but never saw you on Saturday. I'll keep it in my car - I'm sure we'll both do some small, out of the way again soon.

November 10, 2008 at 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results