GT350H

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Legacy Elementary 5K

Exercise: This was a new race put on by former UAH runner (and now Legacy teacher) Caitlin Heider. It started at Legacy Elementary school in Monrovia and ran through the Wall Farm subdivision. Weather was horrible - high 30's, overcast cold northwest wind and spitting rain. Still feeling the effects of a lingering cold and my sore hip.

Started out a little more conservatively than usual - hit the first mile in 6:02. It was mostly due north up Pettus road into the wind. Passed 10-12 people and settle into 3rd place behind Donald Bowman and Emily Hardin which is how the top 3 would remain for the remainder of the race. Mile two ran mostly south through the Wall Farm subdivision with real hills to speak of. I was about 20-30 yards behind Emily at mile two which I hit in 6:12. The 3rd mile consisted of a lopp through a smaller neighborhood south of Pettus Road and then back north up the only real hill on the course. I didn't see the 3 mile marker, but my Garmin showed me slowing to a 6:25 pace. There was no one within 1:30 to my rear and Emily had stretched out in front of me to the point that I was not going to come close to her (she actually gained on the overall winner in the last mile). Not feeling too good I crossed the finish line in 19:34, 3rd overall, 1st in age group (out of about 160 runners total).

Total mileage for the week : 4.62
Total mileage for the month : 56.48
posted by mgreene at 8:38 AM

3 Comments:

Thanks for the recap. I almost ran that race today. I probably should have, but chose to rest some more instead. 160 is not bad for a race that was not advertised much at all. Congrats on 3rd overall!

November 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

Thanks, Eric, we're doing about 15 up on Monte Sano at 6AM if you're out this way.

November 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

I can't make it on Sunday's because there's no way I can get back to Athens in time for church. If you guys do a trail run on a Saturday, let me know and I'd like to join.

November 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results