GT350H

Saturday, September 13, 2008

PHP 5K in Scottsboro

Exercise: Finished 4th overall (out of about 500 entrants). Time was very poor - 20:17, but wining time was 19:04, so everyone was slow. Course had probably 50 turns, was hilly, and on the way back you met some of the slower runners causing you not to be able to clip the apexes. I started out at what I thought was a conservative pace (my life story, blah, blah, blah...) but hit the first mile at 5:53. I was in second place at the time already trailing eventual race winner, high schooler Matthew Ankenhead. A lot of the first mile was downhill, which meant that most of the last mile would eventually be uphill. A 9AM start did not help things, and neither did the temps in the high 80s and 90% humidity (I am full of excuses today).
I struggled through the second mile in 6:24, still in second place at the time. In the third mile on one steep uphill stretch Eric DeBolt passed me and then about a minutes later Dink Taylor passed me. That's how the top 4 finished. I wound up trailing Dink in third by 4 seconds. Despite my poor time, I was able to garner a 1st in age group (45-59) award which was a very nice, heavy etched glass trophy. Results are here.

Total mileage for week : 5.0
Total mileage for month : 44.67
posted by mgreene at 12:08 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results