GT350H

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Monte Sano 15K race

Exercise: 8AM this morning was the Monte Sano 15K road race. I still was feeling a little fatigued from the killer 10 mile hill workout on Wednesday and it showed in my performance. After a 1.3 mile warmup, the race began at the picnic area on Monte Sano Mtn. I tried to start out conservatively, hoping to hold around 6:35-6:40 pace for the race. Started out in the middle of the pack, started passing people around the half mile mark. Hit the first mile in 6:41, feeling OK. The second mile, which went out to the overlook, was hit in 6:33, my fastest of the day. From this point on, every mile was gradually slower. Mile 3 was after we left the state park and hit the neighborhoods - 6:40. Mile 4 (6:54)- I passed Richard Rodenhausen and a couple of other people, but just past the 4.5 mile mark (Gatorade stop), I started to feel the fatigue in my quads. Miles 5,6,7 were on Panorama Drive where the biggest hills on the course were - I hit them in 6:55, 7:02, 7:05. By mile seven I was really feeling spent. But, seeing Dink Taylor only a few yards in front of me gave me a little incentive as he usually crushes me. Mile 8 was back on Nolen Blvd and mostly flat in 7:08. Mile 9 had the last sizable hill and this is where I got passed by another runner (the only one to do so in the whole race) - 7:11. That last 0.3 seemed like it took forever - 2:16 (6:53 pace) - I was barely able to speed up at the end. Finished in 1:04:31 (6:56 pace overall). Much slower than I had hoped for. But, almost everyone else I talked to also struggled as race day temps and humidity were much higher than hoped for. Age group 3/27 and overall 28/290.

Total mileage for the week: 10.66
Total mileage for the month : 55.24
posted by mgreene at 3:19 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results