GT350H

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Liz Hurley 5K

Exercise: Maybe my miles ARE finally starting to pay off (either that or I'm willing to hurt just a little longer). Finally broke the 19 minute barrier in a 5K today for the first time this year - 18:56 (1/57 in age group after Marty Clarke got taken out for 2nd overall master). One of the toughest 5K fields I've ever participated in - 8 runners under 17:00, 16 runners under 18:00, and 26 (me being the last) under 19:00. I was 6th master overall, 26/507 overall (male race only - would not have gotten "chicked" even on a combined m/f race (some 1664 in the women's race)).

Mile one was mostly flat, hit it in 5:55 (right beside Dink Taylor). Mile two had the gradual hill on White Street in front of East Clinton Elementary. I decided that with all the hill work I'd been doing that I SHOULD be able to maintain pace on them for a short race. I hit mile two at 12:10 (6:15). The biggest up hill was in the third mile from Green Street up to the sharp right onto Adams. This is where I usually fade badly. Really mentally pushed up this hill, and after getting to Adams you could see the finish line some 0.5 miles ahead. I really pushed all the way to the end knowing that I'd kick myself if I barely missed breaking 19 by not giving it all I had. I hit mile 3 in 18:18 (6:08), knowing that I had 42 seconds to do the last 0.1 which I did in 0:38 for a 6:06 per mile pace.

Men's results are here:

Total mileage for the week: 4.21
Total mileage for the month : 85.98
posted by mgreene at 3:28 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2009 Race Results